by Jon Worthington on 30/11/15 at 5:34 am
Fresno County, CA – (satireworld.com)
A suspected burglar who became stuck in the chimney of a Central California home died of burns and smoke inhalation after the home’s elderly owner lit a fire in the fireplace, fire officials said Sunday.
The Sheriff’s Office identified the deceased suspect as 21-year-old Antwanne Delbert Jones, who was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators believe Jones climbed in the chimney sometime Friday night to rob the home in the small city of Portview but became stuck. He was in the chimney for almost 24 hours by the time the male homeowner, Robert Hayes, age 87, came home and lit a fire in the fireplace just before 3 p.m. Saturday.
Hays heard Jones screaming from inside the chimney and tried to put the fire out, causing the house to fill up with smoke, the fire investigator reported. According to Hayes, he used ‘just a little bit of gasoline and some really dry lighter pine wood’ to start the fire which is the home’s sole source of heat.
The sheriff’s office said firefighters responded to the home and dismantled the chimney, but were too late to save Jones who was reported to be ‘on the wrong side of crisp.’ It was not immediately clear whether he had a prior criminal record or whether it really mattered at this point.
Sheriff’s office spokesman Lt. Leonard ‘Smokey’ Stover said the home suffered smoke damage in addition to the dismantled chimney, but added that they saved Jones’ baseball cap and blue hoodie.
Hays says he’ll rebuild the brick chimney and will place a small sign near the hearth to remind him to yell up the chimney first before lighting a match.